Hattie Saussy was active and lived in Savannah, Ga. Some of her teachers in the early years were Lila Cabaniss, Emma Wilkins, and Emma’s mother, all local Savannah artists. In 1908–09 she attended the New York School of Fine and Applied Art (now the Parsons School of Design), where her teachers included Sloan Bredin. In 1911–12 she studied at the National Academy of Design.
While in New York she studied under Eugene E. Speicher at the Art Students League. Among her other teachers were Eliot O’Hara, Frank V. DuMond and George Bridgman.
When she return from Europe in 1922, Saussy settled permanently in Savannah as a full-time artist, designing her own home with an attic studio where she taught and painted.
Saussy was active in the Savannah Art Club from 1920 until her death. She served as president of the Georgia Association of Artists in 1934. She exhibited all over Georgia, including at the Telfair Museum in Savannah, The Columbus Museum, the High Museum in Atlanta, and the Augusta Museum of History. A retrospective of her work was held in 1982 in Savannah under the sponsorship of the Historical Savannah Foundation.